Thursday, March 31, 2011

THE FIFTH COMMANDMENT Thou shalt not kill   Violence is such a part of the world in which we live. TV, movies newspapaers are filled with it. It is in the light of so much violence that I asked God what this commandment might mean. His answer: When I gave this commandment what I had in mind was really quite simple, to protect the dignity of human person and in extension of all creation. That may sound like a stretch. It is really logical. All of my creation is endowned with a dignity. What I mean by that is I love what I have made. It is that love which keeps everything going. Now since they are the focus of my love that makes them very valuable. That is the dignity of which I speak, all things are valuable in my sight. They are worth something not because of what they can do, but simply because they are. Violence is any act which deliberately denies that dignity. Violence is saying that someone or something is not worth too much. We see the blatant violence, war, murder, abortion. The more subtle types of violence often are cloked in garments of respectability. For example, budegtary violence. Whenever there is a cut it is the poor who suffer. They are looked at as just an economic function. Greed is another great motivator towards violence. The "how much can I sell this for" instead of asking "what is a fare price." Not giving to those in need is also a kind of killing. Someone once said: if you do not give the needy a piece of bread you have already killed him. That should be a real wake up call. Ignoring people, the nasty talk, using people for our own purposes with no respect are all denying the dignity which I have given them. Therefore we can say that you have killed them. this applies to all of creation. You kill creation when you do not use it for the purpose which I intended. You see I made things for the common good not just for profit. When the resources of my creation are used solely for profit someone is going to go without them. Thou shall not kill is a command which extends into our daily lives. How do we view other people? What are the acts of violence I perpetrate? Do I give to the needy?

No comments:

Post a Comment